Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Bluetina --- Studio of the Week

Interviewing artisans is a great way to get to know one another at Artfire.com, where we are truly a community that works together. A natural step is featuring those artisans so we can introduce others to them as well.

Today we would like to introduce you to Tina of bluetina.artfire.com. She creates unique one of kind pieces of jewelry. When you view her studio, it becomes obvious that she is inspired greatly by the water. Which makes sense living so close to the sea, as Tina lives in spain.

Interview:

1. When and how....

Some years ago I developed a health problem and had to stop working. (I suffer from unpredictable bouts of vertigo like syndrome, as yet unnamed and undiagnosed). I was bored to tears and wanted to do something creative to fill up my suddenly acquired free time. I've always loved jewellery, especially earrings, so I started to learn to make my own.

2. How long....

I've been making jewellery (I believe this is the European spelling)for about eight years now and I'm still learning new things all the time.


3. Crafting influences....

Well, just about everything really! But most of it comes direct from my own imagination. New designs sometimes come to me in dreams!

4. Does anyone in your family....

I appear to be the only member of my family that makes jewellery. I think I inherited all the artistic genes! However, my future daughter-in-law is a very creative person. She can turn her hand to anything!

5. What kinds of places.....

In the UK I used to stall out at lots of craft fairs, school fetes, my local pub etc. (That one was particularly good for business!) Here in Spain there aren't so many places to show my wares. I had, until recently, a display board in a local cafe. Also I have been involved in some art exhibitions. They considered my jewellery to be art - isn't that nice?

6. What else do I do....

I read a lot, play on my computer, surf the net, cook, eat, drink and generally do anything that gets me out of the housework!

7. What is your favourite piece.....

Hmmmm... difficult question. Generally speaking, the piece I've just finished is my favourite! If forced to choose, however, I think my Mediterranean bracelet, because it took so long to make and I didn't stint myself when choosing the components. That's why it's my most expensive piece.
 Here is the link. Sterling silver Charm Sea Theme Bracelet with Blue Onyx.


8. Why did I make it....

I wanted to make something that reflected the colours of the Mediterranean Sea. I live half an hour away and get to see it quite often. I also had this toggle clasp with a fish on it.....

9. What does it take....

It takes a lot of time, patience, reasonable dexterity and a bloody good pair of glasses! I use my MagEyes all the time when I'm creating. I can't see a thing without them!

10. What is special....

Am I supposed to answer that? You're making me blush now! I think it is that, as my little slogan says, I never make the same thing twice. They are all unique, one of a kind and I won't make another!


11. What makes it good....

It fulfils all my artistic yearnings. It keeps me out of mischief. It gets me out of the housework. All except the ironing, I still have to do that as my husband flatly refuses!



Here is a brief glimpse of Tina's creation's.
Swirls and Loops



I hope you have enjoyed getting to know Tina of Bluetina a bit more. You can see more of her lovely creations at http://www.bluetina.artfire.com/   We would love to hear what you think of her studio and what your favorite piece is...

1 comment:

bluetina said...

Thanks girls! I shall reciprocate soon!