Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Artfire Featured Artisan of the Week is The Wild Tangent

The Wild Tangent appears to have closed up shop and left Artfire.  As a result the photo links broke and have been removed, as well as the hyperlinks have broken.  Updated 02/04/2014.

Join us in getting to know The Wild Tangent.


How long have you been creating your chosen craft?

Though I have been making jewelry since 2008, I don't know really if it is my chosen craft. In 2005 I was in a car accident that destroyed my shoulder muscles and more importantly my ability to paint. I spent the years in between trying many different crafts but jewelry making is a natural step for me. I have always loved jewelry. I also make dresses, costumes, and other misc. crafts. I love all crafts that is why I named my page The Wild Tangent it gives me the freedom to evolve.



What are your crafting influences?

I think I gain a lot of inspiration from nature; I live in the redwoods next to the ocean how can anyone not be inspired by that. I also love the Renaissance, Medieval, and Victorian styles.



Does anyone in your family do a similar craft? I am the only jewelry designer/seamstress. My brother is a fabulous painter, sculptor, and carpenter. My aunt draws, paints, and sculpts.



What kinds of places have you displayed your craft in your life?

Jewelry doesn't really go on display except maybe on my neck. I do have a separate website at Http:www.TheWildTangent.com I do giveaways and blog.

I also have a deviant art page of jewelry and sewing stuff still putting that together.



What else do you do besides create these beautiful pieces?

Other than making jewelry I am a mom, wife, Gardner, and house repairer. I sew, draw, sketch, decoupage, fabric paint, trying to learn to sculpt for unique pendants, mushroom hunt, beach comber, rock hound, and more. I also have fibromyalgia so I spend time doing research and talking to fellow sufferers as well as try to raise awareness.



What is your favorite piece that you have created so far?

I have to say my most favorite piece has to be the signature cranberry and copper bracelet.

I love my hoops in motion as well since they are unique and spin in different circles. 



Why did you make that piece?

I made in support of the N.F.A. (National Fibromyaglia Association) along with several other cranberry colored pieces. All cranberry/burgundy pieces sold I donate the proceeds to the N.F.A.



What does it take to create pieces like that?

Jewelry components used in that piece were copper wire, fused glass (made by Glass Magic), glass beads, and creativity.



What is special about your pieces?

My pieces are special because they are unique, I do not duplicate nor could I if I wanted to. I recycle old broken jewelry, use semi-precious gemstones, pearls, crystals and found items. Also unlike most jewelry designers I offer a free 1 yr warranty on all my pieces. No matter what breaks them I will fix it for free. This is in part because like most designers I rely heavily on commercial findings and in part because I have had my kids break numerous pieces over the years.



What makes this kind of craft "good" to you?

Jewelry is very subjective as for being good to me I would say it is creating it.. I make jewelry because I love it. My prices are low because I am not trying to make a profit I just want to have enough coming in to support my creations. Sometimes I have months in between sales yet I continue to make it. (largely do to my inability to do craft shows) I also donate a lot of pieces to charity auctions and I have sponsored several people.



Additional Jewelry Favorites of The Wild Tangent:
Piece One
Piece Two


Enjoy the collection of Favorites we found when visiting The Wild Tangent:

Tangent Shopping
We hope you have enjoyed getting to know The Wild Tangent.  What did you think?

2 comments:

Amber said...

Thank You so much I really appreciated being featured!

Entwined Vines Jewelry said...

Your Welcome, we had fun doing it. It is a great way to get to know more members of the Artfire.com community.