Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Featured Artisan -- Wyverndesigns



Welcome, come join us in getting to know Wyverndesigns Studio.


When and how did you first become interested in crafting?

Ever since I was a young child my mother and sister, who are both avid seamstresses and quilters, encouraged me to pursue my own creativity. While they chose cloth as their medium, I preferred drawing, painting and sculpting.



How long have you been creating your chosen craft?

I have been sculpting with polymer clay for at least 10 years. I was a fan of the Carol Duval show and saw Donna Kato making some beautiful pieces with polymer clay and I was hooked from the start!



What are your crafting influences?

My major influences come from the realms of mythology and nature.


Does anyone in your family do a similar craft? I am the only one in my family that sculpts with polymer clay. My daughter crafts and sells beautiful greeting cards and my sister makes wonderful and intricate quilts and bags. They both look to me for embellishments for their crafts.


What kinds of places have you displayed your craft in your life?

I have displayed my crafts at craft shows and fairs, I wear a lot of my own jewelry and that engenders interest in the people who see my pieces.



What else do you do besides create these beautiful pieces?

I love to try new crafts and I sew, knit, and crochet. I also draw and paint. Some of my miniature paintings end up on my jewelry as pendants. Reading is also a favorite pastime, as is spending time outdoors with my family and our dog, Odin.



What is your favorite piece that you have created so far?

My most favorite piece is my Tree of Life pendant.


Why did you make that piece?

I am interested in mythology and nature and this piece combines both. Norse mythology is of special interest to me, as is evidenced by my dog's name. Odin. Yggdrasil is the ash tree in Norse mythology which binds earth, heaven and hell.



What does it take to create pieces like that?

I feel that to create any of my pieces, all it takes is a vision of what I want to make happen with the clay. Then, I simple let my fingers craft what my mind has envisioned.



What is special about your pieces?

In my view, there is nothing special about my pieces, they are simply who I am. Everyone has some innate talent, and mine happens to be the ability to look at things and replicate them in my own way. I encourage everyone I know to look for their talent and pursue it for all their worth.



What makes this kind of craft "good" to you?

Polymer clay is a fantastic medium. It is incredibly versatile and so much can be done with it. You don't need a lot of specialized tools to work with it and it cures in a home oven.



 
 
Thank you for stopping  by, we hope you have enjoyed getting to know Wyverndesigns with us.

No comments: