Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Featured Artisan --- Pink Rhododenron


Our interview with the talent behind Pink Rhododenron!



When and how did you first become interested in crafting?


I have been creative in some way for as long as I can remember.



How long have you been creating your chosen craft?

I started making jewelry about ten years ago but during the last 2-3 years I've really spent a lot more time on it.



What are your crafting influences?

I'm influenced by nature and I really enjoy color. I'm blessed with a brain that is always full of ideas...sometimes too full.

Beaded Bracelet Multi-Strand

Does anyone in your family do a similar craft?

No one in my family makes jewelry but I grew up with a creative mom and a creative grandmother. My daughter likes beading on a loom sometimes.



What kinds of places have you displayed your craft in your life?

I have never tried to sell my jewelry before. In fact, until now no one except family and close friends has ever seen my work. I'm flattered by the attention I have gotten from fellow jewelry artist. There's no higher compliment than the one from a fellow artist.



What else do you do besides create these beautiful pieces?

In my other life I homeschooled my eighth grade daughter, grow vegetables and flowers, cook from scratch, and I like to sew and play with art supplies.

Bracelet Multicolored Stones

What is your favorite piece that you have created so far?

My favorite piece so far is the multi-strand bracelet in southwest colors.



Why did you make that piece?

It was one of those things where I just saw it in my head and made it. It came together really well. I hope it finds a forever home one day.



What does it take to create pieces like that?

I think the biggest thing about making jewelry is to not be in a hurry. Every time I try to produce a bunch of stuff real fast I get hung up. I think the time and care I take shows in the pieces I make. Patience is the key, especially in bead weaving.

Handmade Bracelet Lime and Orange

What makes this kind of craft "good" to you?

People throughout history have decorated their bodies in some way or another and we're no different. It's fun to wear pretty things. It's fun to make pretty things. Since I've always been creative I don’t know how to be any other way. Even though people say the jewelry market is saturated I believe there's room for every artist. We all create such different pieces. There's no telling who might like the things we make.

Earrings Jasper and Silver

No comments: