Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Featured Artisan --- Sovereign Sea

Our Interview with Sovereign Sea Designs



When and how did you first become interested in crafting?

I've been creating art and crafts in some way all my life.  From the tiny miniature towns I built in my backyard as a child (for the faires, don'tcha know), to writing and illustrating a comic through college, to now, creating jewelry and other goodies with Sovereign Sea Designs.




How long have you been creating your chosen craft?

 I started my business pretty quickly after starting my jewelry making, as I couldn't keep and wear it all!  I've probably been at *this* particular craft for about 2 years now.



Does anyone in your family do a similar craft?

 My family's always been creative, my father plays guitar, my mother cooks and was always crafty with us as children, making things from paper mache and plaster, my sister and brother in law are both fantastic photographers, so yes, I'd say craftiness runs in the family!



What kinds of places have you displayed your craft in your life?

 I've done craft shows here in MA and there are a few local stores who sell my line (see names and links below).  I'd love to get into a gallery or juried show one day.  I wear a Sovereign Sea Designs piece every single day, and often I get compliments, people are astonished I make my own earrings or hair bands.  It's a fun conversation starter, and I often end up giving out business cards! 



What is your favorite piece that you have created so far?

My favorite piece thus far, that's a hard question.  I'd probably say it was a pendant pair - the only "set" of pendants I've ever made to be worn together.  They were made from these tiny ink cameo style drawings by Edward Gorey, my favorite illustrator, of a man and a woman.   I called them "They were both a bit off" - I had a blast with those Gorey etchings.  They sold to a Gorey enthusiast, I was happy they went to a good home.





What is special about your pieces?
What makes this kind of craft "good" to you?

 I think what makes my pieces special, is the same thing that makes this craft "good" to me - I look through vintage books and papers like they were a treasure hunt now.  I'm constantly thinking in terms of 1" circles, and 7/8" squares, looking for interesting miniature images that would make unique jewelry.  Sometimes, when the muse is particularly absent, I'll foray into another media altogether - that's how my Luxe Leather and Stone lines came about.  I like to experiment, I like making pieces I'm fond of, ones I'm really proud to send off to their new owners.


Sovereign Sea Designs  can be found at any of the following locations:


Here are my links:

Website: www.sovereignseadesigns.com
AF: http://www.sovereignsea.artfire.com/
Etsy: http://www.sovereignsea.etsy.com/
Facebook: www.facebook.com/sovereignsea
Twitter: www.twitter.com/sovereignsea



Stores that carry my stuff:

The Andover Bookstore
Andover, MA
hugobookstores.com

Blackstones of Beacon Hill
Boston, MA
http://www.blackstonesbeaconhill.com/

Secondhand Rose on Main
141 Main St, North Andover, MA 01845
(978) 689-7673
(website being developed)

National Canine Cancer Foundation
(I've done a fundraising line for their charity)
http://www.wearethecure.org/

Local Collection
Faneuil Hall Marketplace
Boston, MA
www.facebook.com/pages/Local-Collection-Boston/114139168605526



No comments: