Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Sha's Casual Elegance -- Today's Featured Artisan

Hi this is our interview with Sha, from Sha's Casual Elegance Jewelry Design.


When and how did you first become interested in crafting?
How long have you been creating your chosen craft?

I have always done some type of crafting, model cars, crochet, cross-stitch, just to name a few. I started beading about 3 yrs. ago after I found that I could make my own accessories that were comparable to what I saw in stores. I found it to be addictive and it has become my passion.



What are your crafting influences?

My mother was a seamstress and very into fashion, she would never leave the house without the right accessory. From her I learned what a well placed brooch, earrings or bracelet could do to transform an outfit.
Mauve Lampwork Disk - Brown Eyes Blue


What kinds of places have you displayed your craft in your life?

When I felt that I had created enough pieces to display I did my first craft show and I couldn't believe the compliments I received. That was it, I was hooked! I did my last show in Nov. 2010 and throughout the holiday I sold out of nearly every piece (Good Year!).

Because I also have a full-time job with the USPS I decided to join Artfire, haven't made a sale yet, but I'm still working on the 45 day plan.



What is your favorite piece that you have created so far?

I think my favorite piece was the first custom order I did which featured a brecciated jasper pendant, (didn't even know what that was at the time). The client was delighted and I gained many repeat customers. That really helped boost my confidence.



What does it take to create pieces like that?

As with anything that you decide to do, you have to LOVE doing it. If it takes all your free time, if it requires you to stay up till 3 or get up at 4, (I do this), it will give you a sense of accomplishment, and a peace that only you and others like you understand.



What makes this kind of craft "good" to you?

If I did this for the money, I'd be broke. I want to create pieces that people wear often, pieces that become one of their favorites, that are comfortable and that make people ask, "Hey where'd you get that!” Thanks for listening, Bye!
 Marys Cross Necklace

You Can see more of Sha's lovely work at http://www.artfire.com/users/ShasCasualElegance


2 comments:

srrice63 said...

Very good interviews from all featured artist. Thanks for taking the time to do these articles.

Entwined Vines Jewelry said...

Thank you, we strive to present them as we would want to be presented. It takes a bit of time, but helping each other is one of the great benefits of the being in the handmade artisan community. Interacting and helping others.