Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Crystal Fantasies --- Featured Artisan

Stop in and get to know the talent behind Crystal Fantasies, today's artisan interview.



When and how did you first become interested in crafting?

I have been interested in various types of crafting most of my life. I began sewing doll clothes on a little "toy" Singer hand-cranked sewing machine that my mother bought for me as a child. (I still have it! It's about 55 years old.) I progressed to making my own clothes as a teenager on my mother's "big" Singer. I also learned how to crochet, and after I married I became interested in cross stitch, which I still do occasionally.




How long have you been creating your chosen craft?

About three years ago I began learning how to make jewelry, which was terrific for me since I loved jewelry so much. I have always loved to wear jewelry and was known as the jewelry queen by everyone who knew me. After making pieces to match just about every outfit in my wardrobe, I realized I had no more space in my jewelry armoire. After retiring from public school administration a year ago, I decided to begin selling my jewelry to the public.

Turquoise, Pearl, and Crystal Necklace
Turquoise, Pearl, and Crystal Necklace

 
What are your crafting influences?

I suppose I could say that my work is mostly influenced by my love for color (especially bright colors and pastels) and the concepts of harmony and balance.



What kinds of places have you displayed your craft in your life?

I began selling locally to my friends, then set up an online shop on Etsy. Soon after that I learned about ArtFire and decided to give that a try. Now I have a Facebook page, a Twitter account, and several other online venues.

Multicolor Jade Nuggets and Crystal Necklace
Multicolor Jade Nuggets and Crystal Necklace


What else do you do besides create these beautiful pieces?

I am also a musician (organ and piano), so the combination of colors and textures that I use in my pieces reminds me of the blending of beautiful notes to create a lovely melody. In addition to being a church organist, I am also a wife, mother of two grown sons, and grandmother to one grandson, who I love to babysit any chance I get. I taught school for 24 years and was an administrator for 8 years before retiring over a year ago.



What is your favorite piece that you have created so far?

It's really hard to pick out any one piece as my favorite, because I don't create anything that I wouldn't love wearing myself.



What is special about your pieces?

There is one necklace that I think represents my concept of Crystal Fantasies and that is my Rainbow Mystic Rock Crystal Quart z and Antique Gold necklace. There are just so many colors playing in those stones. I fell in love with them when I saw them in a local bead store, and as soon as I put the antique gold beads with them I knew I had a match. The harmony I was talking about.

Rainbow Mystic Rock Crystal Quartz Faceted Nuggets Necklace
Rainbow Mystic Rock Crystal Quartz Faceted Nugget Necklace

 
You can locate Crystal_Fantaies at any of the below links:

Facebook

My blog

Twitter 

My Artfire studio

No comments: