Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Flia Designs ---- Featured Artisan

Hello,  My name is Tina and I live in Sweden. My studio name is FliaDesign as I call myself Flia sometimes.





When and how did you first become interested in crafting?

I can't remember a time when I wasn't crafting one way or another. I always have ideas in my head, and usually it's not the craft or technique that's important, but the result. But crochet is the craft I've done since childhood and it's the one I know best.



How long have you been creating your chosen craft?

As I said, I've been crocheting since I was little, but only 2006 started to make jewelry. It started with a new found interest in beading, and the crochet seemed a natural way to go forward from there.



What are your crafting influences?

I love beautiful shapes. When I see one I often carry the scene with me home, and start experimenting to recreate it. Mostly I end up with something totally different, but the inspiration often comes from what I see around me.


Bead cord spiral earrings black/silver
Spiral Earrings

Does anyone in your family do a similar craft?

My mother did some crocheting, knitting and embroidery, and she taught me how to crochet. None of my siblings do crafts though.



What kinds of places have you displayed your craft in your life?

Local craft fairs is my main scene, and last year I had my jewelry displayed in a local shop owned by a crafters guild. Now and then I list items on Ebay and Tradera (the Swedish equivalent to Ebay), and I have my own website as well.

I tried blogging as well, but had to abolish that since various personal reasons prohibit me from keeping it updated.




What else do you do besides create these beautiful pieces?

At the moment I concentrate on the Cobweb items, trying out different ways to use the pattern. Otherwise I knit and crochet for personal use, and sometimes make embroidered things that people around med ask for.

I also frequently help others to make crochet and embroidery patterns.




What is your favorite piece that you have created so far?

I guess I must say the lilac cobweb earrings that I actually made for myself


Why did you make that piece?

I love the lilac colour and working with this one was a true joy.



What does it take to create pieces like that?

Inspiration of course, good light and time.



What is special about your pieces?

I made my first pair of earrings first, and only later wrote down the pattern for them. I never make anything I don't love myself, since finding different ways to create beauty is my drive.



What makes this kind of craft "good" to you?

Being creative is part of who I am, and nothing I can opt out from. It's also the number one healer in my life and going to bed without having sat down with my jewelry for a while is agonizing.

I simply have to make, or start making, something beautiful every day.

embroidery pattern created for a friend.

2 comments:

Tina said...

A pity about the pictures, but here they are : www.artfire.com/users/fliadesign.

/Flia

Entwined Vines Jewelry said...

We are working on fixing the pictures. It is very odd they show perfectly in draft but not when the blog is published.

please be patient with us as we continue in our attempts to fix this issue.