Friday, June 10, 2011

Creative Blocks



As an artisan I can tell you that we all have times were we are creatively blocked. I, myself am currently going thru one of those phases. Usually it is a case of I have no ideas or even a hint of an idea to start creating with materials and see what comes of it.

This round is a bit different though. I have ideas in my head going a mile a minute. However, for the past week or so anytime I sit down to start a new project it doesn’t work. Either I can’t remember the designs that have been forming in my head or worse everything I touch goes wrong.

While this can be extremely frustrating it is all part and parcel of any art form one pursues. Thru the years I have learned many tips and tricks to get me past these types of creative block. Sometimes though they just don’t work. That is when no matter what you try, the end result and the best thing to do is walk away from it.

I am finding walking away and not allowing myself to force designs and output to be a bigger challenge now than at any other time in my life. There is a different kind of expectation of one’s self when running an artistic business. Placing pressure on one’s self to always be creating something new is difficult at the best of times. Yet, when the perception or a better description would be expectation of myself is that I have to be in a nonstop creative mode it can and has for me become taxing.

Currently, I am in search of a way not to have this expectation of myself. Because I am finding that it is very draining and a bit demoralizing. Which is really pathetic, when you stop, think and realize that the fact of the matter is it is my own expectation and perception of what I should be doing, not someone else’s.

Logically, as someone who has always been working on some form of art or another, I know non- creative times are normal. Now, I just have to find a way get my logical self and my feelings of inadequacy on the same page.

I know that this too shall pass and I will be back on the creative road in no time. In the mean time, I am hunting up new ideas for getting past creative blocks. While reminding myself that unrealistic expectations are unhealthy on so many levels.  Time will tell if I have learned this lesson or if I will have more days of frustrating creative blocks and the resulting unrealistic expectations of myself to contend with.


Tammy

No comments: