Monday, June 27, 2011

Life, Doors and Oppurtunities!

When one door closes, another opens.

But we often look so long and so regretfully

upon the closed door

that we do not see the one which has opened for us.

–Alexander Graham Bell



This has always been one of my favorite quotes. One which I try and remember every time a new opportunity arises. This is much harder when you have several such doors that each present unique opportunities with different paths and results. This was the case for me last year. It wasn't so much looking upon the doors that closed, but being presented with several new opportunities throughout the year both personal and job related. Which one would think would be a good thing and in some ways it was, in others not so much. Two such opportunities arose in regards to, for lack of a better term, jobs and they are ones I am going to talk about today.

One opportunity that I was presented with was a job that I think that while not loving it I would have enjoyed it enough that I wouldn't come to hate it. With the bonus of it being that it would have left me financially solvent within a couple of years. This is the opportunity I didn't take. Not because I couldn't see the opportunity, but because it would have changed my lives in ways I didn't want.

Recently I have had the same opportunity that I turned down last year offered to me again this year. As oft times happen in life I have been second guessing my original choice, I made last year. While it is probably a good thing to second guess yourself and take a step back and reassess the path you are on, it can be a bit disconcerting. In my case the second guessing was extremely short lived.

You see while the other opportunity of starting and operating a business is the definitely the harder path and a huge risk it is the one I chose. It's simple really; it is the one that provides the greatest benefit. While being a partner in business with a good friend, is both rewarding and frustrating in the same brush stroke. All the frustrations pale in comparison to the rewards.

Being in business with someone I both respect and like. The opportunity to pursue an artistic and creative life, being in charge of how we run our business, and eventually deciding our own schedule; I say eventually because we are building our business around our current lives. These are just a few of the benefits and rewards that will eventually bear fruit for us. It is something I want for myself and my business partner and the difficulties and sacrifices we are making this year will pay off for us in the long run. Meeting long term and short term goals that we will both benefit from as our business continues to grow is our reward.

While opportunities arise and we need to be aware of them and consider them, one needs to remember that we don't have to leap at every opportunity. Sometimes they are presented in our path as a test or an opportunity given to remind ourselves of why we made previous choices. Which is what this last opportunity was for me, it was even easier to turn it down the second time around.


Tammy

No comments: