Tuesday, June 21, 2011

MadeByLovingHands -- Featured Artisan

Grab a cup of coffee and read our interview with

MadeByLovingHands



When and how did you first become interested in crafting?

I grew up with a Mom and Dad that were both handy. I remember my Mom sewing and crafting with me as a kid. I always enjoyed learning new crafts from hand sewing, to latch hook, cross stich to sewing. One summer during college I taught myself to quilt and I have been hooked ever since. I love making baby gifts for friend.



How long have you been creating your chosen craft?

I started sewing in 4-H when I was about 10 and have never stopped. I started quilting about 10 years ago.

Pink and Black bold baby quilt or wall hanging

 

What are your crafting influences?

I love new fabrics! I love customers who have ideas of something they want made.



Does anyone in your family do a similar craft?

Both of my grandmothers were quilters and my mom is great at sewing garments. I got my sister-in-law a sewing machine a few years ago and she now enjoys sewing.

Handmade Brown and Blue Batik Baby Quilt

What kinds of places have you displayed your craft in your life?

All of my curtains are handmade along with my son's nussery. All of my couch blankets are either quilts or croched afgans I have made. I make more to give away as gift than I do to keep.



What else do you do besides create these beautiful pieces?

By training I am a chemical engineer. I am currently on leave to be home with my son who is almost 2. I find sewing to be great for me ... creativity within limits with lots of angles and math. Keeps my mind busy thinking through my next project.



What is your favorite piece that you have created so far?

I made my parents a Frank Loyd Wright quilt for Christmas a couple years ago. It was time consuming with all the 1/4" strips of black, but I am very pleased with the end product.



Why did you make that piece?

I love doing modern quilts. The pattern just looked like my parents. I figured I should do it before my son was born and I am glad I am not trying to make it during nap times now. I don't sell larger or more complex quilts because there are very few customers that are willing to pay for all the time that goes into them. I focus on smaller kids quilts to sell, but I am always open to larger custom requests.



What does it take to create pieces like that?

This quilt was very time consuming due to all the little pieces. Piecing 1/4" black strips against white is not forgiving of any mistakes or sloppiness! I can't even guess how many hours went into it. It was a labor of love.



What is special about your pieces?

Everything I make is made with fabrics that will last. I don't think you can buy as bib that will wash like my 100% cotton flannel bibs. So many mass produced items add polyester to the fabric that holds stains. 100% cotton washes so much better. Everything I make is a labor of love.

Yellow Colorful Number Bib with Chenille Back

What makes this kind of craft "good" to you

I love that quilts are pass down from generation to generation. I also love the fact that they can be timeless. Some are "dated" but they carry so many memories with them. People treasure the previous generations that made and used them. They are not disposable like so many things are today.



See more creations in her studio:  MadeByLovingHands.artfire.com
and
Follow Made By Loving Hands on facebook
 

No comments: