Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Sewn From the Heart -- Featured Artisan

Sewn From the Heart



When and how did you first become interested in crafting?

Most of my life, but It was not a passion untill around 2002.



How long have you been creating your chosen craft?

Since 2003 when I decided to do something productive with my life. A close friend (my God given angel) taught me and inspired me.


Walker tote bag Blue leaves on light blue
Walker tote bag

What are your crafting influences?

My close friend as well as kid’s, teens and young adults whom have had disabilities from birth or from injuries due to accidents. There are so many younger people that live with disabilities, I am one of them. I chose fun bright bold colors and fabrics for that very reason. The things I sew are what I use myself to make things easier and thought others would like to as well.



Does anyone in your family do a similar craft?

My very close friend whom I consider to be my true mother.



What kinds of places have you displayed your craft in your life?

My wheelchair and all over my house. I made a matching cell phone, mp3 player and sunglasses bag I take with me everywhere. I use the 'walker bags' on my night stand and table where I sew. I have made bags that hang on the arm of my power wheel chair. I LOVE Veggie Tales, so I use that fabric for my personal items. I even made curtains with the Veggie Tales fabric.



What else do you do besides create these beautiful pieces?

I write, sew, paint, cook, bake, and I Love music. I am a proud published author.

The Misfits Who Became Family by Alicia E.

What is your favorite piece that you have created so far?

That changes from time to time. Right now it's my aprons.

Apron Purple camouflage with peace signs

Why did you make that piece?

They are fun and a great challenge for me. I enjoy making them with lots of pockets. I love pockets. My first apron was a custom order for an Art Fire seller. I chose to take on the challenge, and it turned out great.



What does it take to create pieces like that?

It takes time, a good heath day, and heart. If my heart is not into sewing right then, it does not get sewn.



What is special about your pieces?

They all come from my heart and joy. I put a lot of myself into my work. I was born with Juvenile Rheumatoid Arthritis and ADHD. Neither of the diagnoses was made until later in life. I am permanently in a wheel chair and cannot walk. If it was not for the proper medications I would not be able to move my fingers or be able to write or sew. God is the reason I have the strength to write and sew and live each day of my life.




What makes this kind of craft "good" to you?

It helps me meditate, calm down, relax and unwind. It keeps my mind focused and clear when so much is going wrong around me. It makes it so I can go another day without totally losing all my sanity. It\'s just me and my sewing machine or paint brushes. I can be creative and unique.



You can find more creations by Sewn from the Heart at http://www.artfire.com/users/Sewnfromtheheart

1 comment:

luvncrafts said...

Lovely person and great items. Sewnfromtheheart has made 4 gardening aprons for my daughters and I. We love using them when we work in the garden.