Tuesday, July 26, 2011

The Eucalyptus Branch --- Featured Artisan

Our interview with The Eucalyptus Branch:



When and how did you first become interested in crafting?

My Mother has been crafting for as long as I can remember. Both of my parents are extremely creative and artistic, so my sister and I were pretty much destined to be creators. I’m so thankful that we have always been encouraged to express our creativity.



How long have you been creating your chosen craft?  

I have been creating Peruvian string art earrings for about 6 months now.

 Purple & Gold String Art Earrings- Inspired by Nature

What are your crafting influences?

This particular artistic adventure started last winter when I asked my Mother to teach me how to crochet. I needed some “me” time since I was adjusting to being a working Mom for the first time. After picking that up fairly quickly, I began searching on-line for different patterns and craft projects. Crocheting blankets turned into crocheting hats and accessories. Eventually, crochet earring designs developed and finally…. Peruvian string art earrings.



Does anyone in your family do a similar craft?   

No. We each have our own artistic outlet.

 Newsboy Hat, Crochet, Crocheted Purple and Green- No Shipping Cost

What kinds of places have you displayed your craft in your life? 

I love to wear my own creations! The compliments I receive are especially rewarding since I can say, “I made these!”



What else do you do besides create these beautiful pieces?

I’d like to consider myself a jack of all trades. If I find an object that’s interesting to me, I’m pretty determined to figure out how to make it myself. When I’m not crafting or working at my desk job, I’m busy spending time with my husband, toddler, and our dog “Boogie”.



What is your favorite piece that you have created so far?

I’d have to say the Monarch Butterfly Earrings are my favorite so far.  I’m beginning to step outside of the box with this craft and I’m coming up with things that I don’t see anywhere else, which is exciting.

Monarch Butterfly Earrings, String Art, Orange Black

Why did you make that piece? 

I’ve loved Monarch butterflies since elementary school when we raised them from caterpillars in our classroom.


What does it take to create pieces like that?

It takes some patience to get the wiring spaced perfectly. Getting the string to stay on the wires is tricky sometimes, too. A little dab of clear nail polish usually does the trick for especially stubborn pieces.

Baby Cocoon Set, White Bear, Very Soft Chenille

What is special about your pieces?

I really make each piece with love and won’t list anything that I don’t feel is top quality. I love each one of the pieces that I create and hope that other people will love wearing my artwork.



What makes this kind of craft "good" to you?

I really look forward to my down time in the evening when the baby’s sleeping and I can prop my feet up on the ottoman. My husband and I will usually watch TV together while I work on my earrings. I consider this time my “recovery” from the everyday madness. :)

Large Teardrop String Earrings, Green, Turquoise, Copper, Brass

No comments: