Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Featured Artisan --- Evarose1900


Enjoy reading our Interview with Evarose1900

Evarose1900


When and how did you first become interested in crafting?


My best friend Jeanne has made jewelry with vintage beads for decades. I offered to help her at bead shows. After seeing how much fun I was having, she suggested that I start selling on-line. I love being able to help people create their art (you'd be surprised at some of the things that people use my beads, buttons and sequins for).



How long have you been creating your chosen craft?

I've been selling beads for over 5 years now. I started out at bead shows and on eBay. Currently, I sell on ArtFire and Etsy. I've been lucky to be able to use the same name EVAROSE1900 everywhere.

Vintage Red Open Lucite Loops - elp106
Vintage Red Open Lucite Loops

What are your crafting influences?

This is what I love about selling on-line. I can 'meet' people from around the world while still in my p.j.'s. JAHERSHBERGER (on ArtFire, eBay and Etsy) is my first and most intense influence. She taught be so much of what I know about beads. I'm on a couple teams on Artfire and Etsy and I love hearing and seeing how other people promote their work.


Truth be told, I am not that crafty. My mind and my hands fight and being a Virgo, if I can't do it 'right' I either work it forever or give up. I do however buy handmade, quite a bit. I love lampwork beads and pieces that combine style.



What else do you do besides create these beautiful pieces?

I have 2 wonderful children. A son that will be 17 next month and an 11 year old daughter. Also we have a Goldendoodle that just turned 1 and didn't get the memo that she's not a puppy anymore. Recently I took some classes and I will be looking for a job that will allow me to continue to be active in my kid’s lives and do my bead thing.

Vintage Japanese Green Plastic Sugar Beads


What is your favorite piece that you have created so far?

When I re-list items I try to re-evaluate my photos and descriptions. When I first started selling on-line, I had a set-up for photos. I had lights and I would take as many photos as I could stand at a time - I hated it! Over a year ago I decided to start taking photos on or near my desk. I take a few of a bead, with different backgrounds and angles (which I really couldn't change back when I was using a tripod). Then I look at them and throw out the ones I hate. If need be I throw them all out and try again. Weird thing is, not only do I enjoy taking photos now - I swear they are WAYYY better. I still have days when my camera refuses to see the colors that my eye sees, but since I've only taken maybe 5 or so photos before I check them, I don't get so frustrated. It's more of a puzzle now. I have gotten pretty creative at coming up with different ways to take pictures.
Vintage Oval Topaz with Plum Givre Lucite Beads - elp367
Vintage Oval Topaz with Plum Givre Lucite Beads

Why did you make that piece? What does it take to create pieces like that?

I search the world for interesting old beads. My beads are all NOS (New Old Stock) which means that while they are old, they have never been used (compared to the broken necklace that you might have found in Grandmas drawer or at a garage sale.)


What is special about your pieces?

I like to say that my beads, buttons and sequins are from "long ago and far away". They have a hard to describe quality about them that I love. Every so often someone will say to me, but I can get beads at XX chain craft store for much less than your beads. I tell them that if they find what they are looking for elsewhere cheaper, buy them. My beads are not cheap - not in cost or more importantly in quality.



What makes this kind of craft "good" to you?

Who wouldn't love playing with beads. I love it! I tell you I didn't have time to really work with my beads much for more than a month - it took all I had to simply get orders out and occasionally relist beads. Last Saturday I got up at 8am and worked non-stop until after 2pm with my beads. I didn't eat either breakfast or lunch. I was so happy to have a big block of time that I could play.


My studio name, EVAROSE1900 is very personal to me. When I started selling beads I wanted a name that would reflect the classic styles of the 1900's. I so admire the women that were born at the end of the 1800's and early 1900's. The amount of changes that they lived through is inspiring to me. I was terribly close to my great-grandma Eva Beckwith. She was a small town church lady that saw so many changes during her life. Long before my daughter was born we knew she would be named for my husband's Oma that ran through central Europe with her 2 sons and mother-in-law trying to keep safe through WWII before coming to America and doing whatever was needed for her family. We used one of my grandmother’s middle names for our daughter's middle name. Rose is the name that we didn't use. It's always bothered me, because Rose is such a pretty name. So...Evarose1900 honors all those simple hard working classy women from the last century and all of the wonderful styles that they share with us even now.

Vintage 14mm Woven Blue Plastic Beads - elp115
Vintage 14mm Woven Plastic Beads

Evarose1900 can be found at the following locations:

Artfire

Etsy

Facebook  (I give a 10% discount on new facebook friend/fans first orders)


No comments: