Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Featured Artisan -- TracysDesigns1

This is Tracy from TracysDesigns1 stopping in to say "Hello".



When and how did you first become interested in crafting?

I'd have to say I first became interested in crocheting around the age of four. My grandmother (on my dad's side) was always working on at least one crocheting project, plus decorating her house with her finished products. In her closet was totes full of colorful skeins of yarn. It didn't take long before I was begging her to teach me.

My grandma (mom's side) was always sewing/creating things, especially costumes and since she took care of me while mom and dad were at work, I also picked up a love for sewing at a very young age.
6 to 12 Month Gray Sock Monkey Hat Crochet Handmade Photo Prop

How long have you been creating your chosen craft?

I started learning to crochet at age five, when someone suggested to my grandmother to sit across from me to teach me (I'm left handed). That worked and 25+ years later I still haven't put the crochet hook down!

My mom and grandma bought me my own used sewing machine when I was around approx. 7 or 8 yrs old, but I was already hand stitching before then.



What are your crafting influences?

My grandmothers were my biggest influences. As a child I loved watching them take a skein of yarn or a yard of fabric and create something beautiful with it.

Matching Isabella Hats Child & Doll clothes fits 18 American Girl

 
Does anyone in your family do a similar craft?

Crocheting and sewing seemed to skip a generation in my family. It jumped from my grandmothers to me.



What kinds of places have you displayed your craft in your life?

As a teenager some of my sewing projects from my sewing classes were on display at my High School along with fellow classmates.

As an adult, I have done many local craft shows and also sell at a local boutique.

Blue Poodle Skirt 18 doll clothes fits American Girl Handmade
What else do you do besides create these beautiful pieces?

Spending time with my family is very important to me. I also love to read.



What is your favorite piece that you have created so far?

Hmmm.... it's hard to pick a favorite. But if I had to choose, I think I would have to say it's my sock monkey hats. It's fun to watch the face appear. It almost feels like they have a "personality" all their own. You can't help but smile when you look at them!

Green crochet Sock Monkey hat fits approx 3 to 6 Months Handmade
Why did you make that piece?

When my brother and his wife found out they were having their first child, I was excited and wanted to make the baby something. Since she was due in the winter, I decide on a hat! I had so much fun making it, that I started designing more!



What does it take to create pieces like that?

Mostly time. (Anyone know how to get more than 24 hours into a day!)



What is special about your pieces?

They are well made using quality yarns and fabrics, and they bring a smile to kids and adults faces.



What makes this kind of craft "good" to you?

Even though running my own business is a lot of work, it's worth it seeing skeins of yarn or yards of fabric turn into useful, fun, creative works of art under my hands!


3 to 6 Month Isabella Pink Green Crochet beanie Hat Handmade

1 comment:

Tracy's Designs 1 said...

Thank you for featuring me!