Sunday, September 25, 2011

Fall Gardening


Fall has arrived the leaves are turning, the last of the summer garden crops are done and for most the garden is being put to rest till spring. However for some the gardening continues with late fall crops and for those lucky enough to have a green house continues into winter.

I bemoan the fact that once again my garden is not set up for fall crops or even attempting winter crops this year. But it will happen eventually. In the meantime this is the time of year I start dreaming of what I want to do in the spring.

Starting with collecting seed catalogs, pulling out books to browse, surfing the Internet and dreaming about what my ideal garden would look like. Today I thought I would share some of my favorite resources for inspiration, ideas and pure day dreaming.



Books solely for day dreaming:

Truly Tiny Gardens by Thomasina Tarling (if you want a decorative spot if might be practical)

Gardening with Herbs by Emelie Tolley and Chris Mead



Books that are a cross between practical and best for solely day dreaming:

The Art of the Kitchen Garden by Jan & Michael Gertley

The Herb Garden by Malcolm Hillier



Books that I reference constantly, better known as my working books:

Garden Herbs by The Gardeners Handbook, it is great for quick reference

The Budget Gardener by Maureen Gilmer

Great Garden Formulas by Joan Benjamin and Deborah L. Martin

Sunset Western Garden Book



Websites:

You would think in the tech age I would have some favorites, however so far I do not. I will occasionally spend an afternoon surfing through blogs. Truly though I would rather wander down to the local garden centers and spend an afternoon talking with the master gardeners.  One day I will probably find some favorite garden blogs to track and repeatedly visit, maybe.



Seed/bulb Catalogs – there is no such thing as too many, but here are a few to get you started:

Burpee Seed Catalog

Dutch Gardens Flowers

Gurney's Seed & Nursery

Jung Seeds and Plants

Territorial Seed Company   -- my absolute favorite

So don't despair the changing of the seasons is a good thing.  Especially since it will allow us time to day dream about what our gardens would look like in a perfect world.
 
 
 
 
edited 10/3/11 to fix a link that was directing to an incorrect page.
 
 
 

No comments: