Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Featured Artisan --- Sparetire Design

Step in and get to know the talent behind Sparetire Design.

sparetiredesign


When and how did you first become interested in crafting?


I can remember sitting at the kitchen table when I was five surrounded by mountains of crayons and paper. I could whittle away a day simply creating shapes, lines and rubbing textures onto the page. I was always creating something out of nothing; there is an immense satisfaction in being able to create a different form and function from something ordinary or mundane. My crafting and art sensibilities were furthered with art classes in high school and my education furthered when I choose to major in fine arts at The School of Art and Design at Alfred University.



How long have you been creating your chosen craft?

I have been active in graphic design for the past 10 years or so. During that time I have created stationery solutions for family and friends and just this past year decided to offer my stationery design service to everyone.



What are your crafting influences?

This is a complex question! I can't say I have a specific influence; I am influenced by so many different facets of life, people and events. I can more aptly tell you what my inspirations are: music, nature, and specifically for stationery, usually the client themselves.



Does anyone in your family do a similar craft?

Nope, just me.

Custom Party Invitations Any Event

What kinds of places have you displayed your craft in your life?

I have had the privilege to have had my paintings and drawings displayed in art shows through the years. I recently was asked to have my stationery displayed in a local photographer’s shop, which I am thrilled about. I am in the process of getting this together. (http://www.matthewdouglas.net/)



What else do you do besides create these beautiful pieces?

I am a mother of three beautiful and active children. So most of the time I am playing with them, fascinated by their constant energy and endless imagination. When I have a few moments to myself you can find me in the garden, behind a good book, or looking for some new musicians to listen too.



What is your favorite piece that you have created so far?

I think I would have a hard time deciding between two. The first is a wedding invitation that has a watercolor side with a hand drawn botanical branch and leaf knocked out.

Watercolor Botanical Wedding Invitation in Pocketfold Enclosure


My second favorite would be the rustic and vintage mash up of a damask scroll and peacock design.



Vintage Damask and Peacock Wedding Invitation

Why did you make that piece?

My second favorite was created out of frustration actually! I was getting bored with the same old damask and scroll designs and the surge of peacock designs into the stationery world. After playing around with some different ideas I created a unique mash up. The bold damask scroll was tamed by a vintage, rough texture and the hand drawn peacock eyes and feather lightly layered over the bold scrolls. The result was a vintage, romantic and rustic feeling invitation.



What does it take to create pieces like that?

All I needed for this piece was some hand drawn items (in this case the peacock eyes and feathers), I had a digital damask scroll design already. I created a unique paper texture using Photoshop. Then it really just took some time and patience to play around with the pieces and layout until I was satisfied with the result.



What is special about your pieces?

I feel my pieces are special because they aren't the run of the mill designs. Many of my designs are hand drawn and then digitized so I can change the color and alter them per the client’s request. All of my designs are well thought out and expertly laid out. My pieces are customizable, the colors, fonts and the layout to an extent are all different per client.

Bold and Fun Note Cards


What makes this kind of craft "good" to you?

I love creating stationery. I think it originates from the excitement you have when you receive a personal note or invitation in the mail. This medium allows me to get some of my creative energy out without taking too much time away from my children.



You can find more of her unique designs at :

Artfire Studio

Facebook

Blog

Website

No comments: