Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Featured Artisan --- Stained Glass WV

Our interview with Stained Glass WV
 stainedglasswv

Is a studio that does Express Framing and Stained Glass and is run by Sherri Rhodes.


Tamarack Artist from Culloden WV. Graduate of Hamlin High School Hamlin, WV and Marshall University Huntington WV; studied music and art education. Full-time Stained Glass and Wood Craft Artist and outdoor enthusiast. Developing my Wood Box and Stained Glass designs to re-purpose my beautiful leftover glass, paper and frame materials and create functional works of art. Showcasing West Virginia's Culture, Beauty and Style with greener art for a cleaner Earth!

3D Beveled Glass Star Mobile

I am passionate about 2 things: my art and my planet. In creating my art, I realize the need to reduce waste and create designs that will use up my leftover materials and resources. Everything in my studio has a use or a "re-purpose". By creating designs that use my leftover materials I have reduced the amount of waste produced in my studio by over 50%. This is so exciting to me that it carried over into my home life and shopping habits. I have reduced waste and saved money for my family and my business in the process.


When and how did you first become interested in crafting?

I have been crafting in some form or another since before I started school as a young child. I studied art and music in college. I started framing pictures as I went to school and learned stained glass as a hobby from some friends at that time.

Jumbo Snowflake Stained Glass Sun Catcher

How long have you been creating your chosen craft?

I have been practicing the art of stained glass since 1997. I quit my "day job" in an insurance office in 2007 and went fulltime with my artwork. A leap of faith that I do not regret!


What are your crafting influences?

Living in beautiful scenic West Virginia; most of my influences come from my everyday environment; like wildlife, historic locations and breathtaking landscapes. It is very easy to find subject matter in my surroundings.


Does anyone in your family do a similar craft?

My husband is a huge part of my business. He is also a picture framer and stained glass artist; as well as an accomplished bluegrass guitar musician. A master pattern designer, he can freehand anything I want and is a huge asset to my designs.

My mom is a terrific Public Relations Manager! She is so proud of what I do that I just love to sit back and listen to her talk about my art to my customers; she just beams as she discusses her favorite pieces. Best PR in the world and Mom and I get to spend a lot of time together at shows.

Whitetail Deer Stained Glass Panel

What kinds of places have you displayed your craft in your life?

I have had my frames and artwork in such places as the WV State Capitol, Tamarack, WV Arts and Craft Festivals and Local Art Galleries. I have a website that I created and manage myself at http://www.appalachianartgallery.com/


You can find out more at:

Artfire  -- See more designs for sale.

Facebook

Twitter

Website

No comments: