Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Featured Artisan --- Acadienne

Welcome to our featured artisan interview with Acadienne:

acadienne

When and how did you first become interested in crafting?

I've been doing needlecrafts since the age of 6, when my mother taught me to knit 2 small rectangles and sew them together to make a top for my Barbie doll.


What are your crafting influences?

I'm a self-taught crochet, started during my college years, and the embroideries came at various times across the years.

Knitted shawl/ shoulder scarf in rust and dark green tweeds

Does anyone in your family do a similar craft?

Several other family members also do needlework, and from what I've heard my grandmother was a true expert (She died before I was born).


What kinds of places have you displayed your craft in your life?

I do a few in-person craft shows in the fall and winter, and my charity work of preemie sweater/hat/booties sets, complete wardrobes for dolls that are given to an organization for foster kids, chemo hats, and prayer shawls are of course seen, though anonymously.

Celtic design Blackwork hand-embroidered brooch green shades

What else do you do besides create these beautiful pieces?

Much of my work is done while I'm on my night shift job as an LPN, one-on-one cases, though I also keep busy while at home and have been known to knit while sitting next to the goal judge at college hockey games.


What is your favorite piece that you have created so far?

I really don't have a favorite piece, enjoy the process of making all of them, and try to put my individuality into everything I create.



What is special about your pieces?

My needle working is, to me, a means of connecting to the long line of crafters in my family, especially significant since I am an "afterthought" child who arrived when all grandparents were gone. My studio name is Acadienne, to reflect my family origins, both on Artfire and Zibbet.

Womens knitted tube socks bright hot colors

No comments: