Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Featured Artisan --- Classy Art Glass

Step in and meet the talent behind

ClassyArtGlass

When and how did you first become interested in crafting?


Back in 2003 through 2006, I needed to have 5 abdominal surgeries. I, of course, had to stop working and go on disability. My wife, Mary, actually guided me toward making jewelry and then a friend of ours got me into lampworking.



How long have you been creating your chosen craft?

Since the fall of 2008.


What are your crafting influences?

I do a lot of "lurking" and posting on Lampwork Etc. I also read a LOT of tutorials and "experiment" on my own to see what designs I can come up with.



Does anyone in your family do a similar craft?

My wife Mary makes jewelry, works with glass molds, and also does a bit of lampworking when she has the time.



What kinds of places have you displayed your craft in your life?

I was published in the spring 2010 issue of "The Glass Bead" magazine, and at a lot of art festivals and shows around Florida. I also have an Artfire website called Classy Art Glass which displays all of my pieces… until they are purchased that is. There are more galleries of mine on the Glass Artists.org website.

GJCG Window-1050AF

What else do you do besides create these beautiful pieces?

I'm now a "stay-at-home" husband since going on disability, so I take care of the house and do most of the cooking.



What is your favorite piece that you have created so far?

There’s no way I can pick a favorite piece. There’s probably a dozen or so that stand out in my mind however.



Why did you make that piece?

Most of my lampwork beads are “nature” inspired… but I also like the depth and endless color combinations that one can accomplish by mixing different types of glass.

GJCG Ribbons-764AF

What does it take to create pieces like that?

Imagination and patience… lots and lots of patience!



What is special about your pieces?

Each piece I design is a reflection of my individual impressions of life, emotion and experience. Every item begins with an inspiration, mainly based on nature, color or form.



What makes this kind of craft "good" to you?

I’m not a “spring chicken” anymore, and I didn’t want to just sit around doing nothing all the time, so this keeps me alert, creative, and busy every day!

GJCG Moons-655AF

1 comment: