Monday, November 28, 2011

Creativity in Left vs Right Handed People

Every once in a while I run across a blog article that intrigues me, it is even rarer when that article prompts me to write about it. Today it is one out of Live Science that talks about the stats and facts of people who are left handed, right handed or ambidextrous.  Which being only slightly ambidextrous myself, my sister is a lefty and my dad is so ambidextrous it isn't funny, it is a curiosity that has always fascinated me.

In this article they indicate that only one percent of the population is ambidextrous.  Only ten percent are left handed and a whopping ninety percent are right handed.   While they go on with a lot of  you can see it in cave drawings and how the world is geared towards right handed people, not those that are left handed it does touch on the bias people have and have always had.

I still remember my parents having numerous conferences with the schools because the teachers insisted my sister learn to right with her right hand and not her left.  Which makes me wonder how accurate the stats are in this article.  Sport coaches use to wonder why I wrote right handed when my left side was my predominant side in sports.   Has societies bias towards those left handed skewed the stats, because when we are little teachers and parents alike assume we will be and should be right handed?

While that in itself is fascinating, it also makes one wonder about the old adage that left handed people are more creative than right handed people.  Not sure what my thoughts are on that one, especially since one of my oldest friends is left handed and well she isn't the creative type.  I think those of us who have developed our imagination and can step back from what is expected of us and not only explore our creativity but also foster it are the ones who are creative.  

Perhaps it is because left handed people struggle all their lives in a right handed world that they are more capable and have the established skill  set to easily foster their creativity.  Who knows what the right or wrong answer is.  What I do know is it takes all kinds of different people to make the world go round.  It is those differences that we should value and cherish and foster.



Impromptu informal mini poll:

1.) Are you left or right handed?

2.) Are you creative ?
(No you don't have to be trying to earn a living as an artisan to be creative, that is a whole different skill set requirement.)


I will report the results of this mini poll in my December 9, 2011 blog.

13 comments:

DawninCal said...

An interesting topic and one that caught my eye as I am left handed and creative.

I still remember the story told by my mom about how when I was learning to feed myself and picking up the spoon with my left hand, she would take the spoon away and put it in my right hand. Until the day in a fit of frustration, I picked up the bowl of cereal and threw it across the room. That was the day my mom decided to leave me be and let me be left handed.

I often wonder if I'd be able to paint if I'd been forced to switch hands.

One other thing I've noticed these days is a lot more lefties, now that parents and teachers no longer force left handed kids to become right handed. The majority are still right handed, but not by the huge margin seen in the past.

A subject near and dear to my heart!

Clearwater Creations said...

I'm right handed, and usually don't consider myself creative. However, my friends disagree with me, and say I am. It's interesting about how they tried to force kids to be right handed. My husband is left handed because he burnt his right hand badly when 18 months old, and with surgeries etc it was in bandages a lot.

Clearwater Creations said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Clearwater Creations said...

Sorry, it showed up twice, so I took the second one down

lindalandig said...

I'm a creative lefty. :)

psmpdx said...

I consider myself a lefty however; I play all sports better as a righty. I may not be an artist, but "I MAKE ART."

Genevive said...

I was born right handed. But when I went to learn how to write I copied my brother who is left handed. So from then on I do most everything left handed. My handwriting is really bad though. But it's very confusing always having to think what is right and what is left. Thanks Bro!

Cozy said...

I am a creative lefty with two daughters. The lefty is creative and the right handed one thinks being creative is too messy and clutter making to ever deal with.

Shaylynn said...

I'm right handed and very creative. My parents are right handed and both engineers (but my dad is incredibly creative in his own way, he designs vehicle parts and does all sorts of projects around the house). All of my siblings are riht handed and very math-inclined and more creative with their brains than their hands :) except my youngest bro who is too young to tell. He's just loud and cute.

Shaylynn said...

I've always wanted to be ambidextrous; thought it was cool. So I can write decently (though slowly) with my left hand, and kind of draw with it. Can't manuveour my jewelry pliers with my left hand, though. I use both sides equally in taekwando, but don't do other sports so I can't compare that. But I'm right handed, as much as I want to learn to use my left hand.

E-hole Admin said...

righty here

Kael Mijoy said...

Creative lefty here. However, my mom, sister, daughter, brother, and husband are all right-handed and also creative. I have other relatives that are lefties and not so creative.

Entwined Vines Jewelry said...

You can find the poll results Here