Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Featured Artisan -- Black Dog Handcrafted Jewelry

Our interview with


BlackdogHandcraftedJewelry


When and how did you first become interested in crafting?


I think I have always loved to make something out of something else.



How long have you been creating your chosen craft?

I have been crafting one thing or another as far back as I can remember. One thing leads into another and I have now landed in the wonderful world of hammered Sterling Silver, Copper and Gemstones.



What are your crafting influences?

I grew up on Long Island, NY at the edge of the ocean and now I live in the mountains just above Denver so I have always had lots of inspiration just outside my door. Most of my pieces have an organic look and feel to them.

Red Creek Jasper Necklace and Earring Set

Does anyone in your family do a similar craft?

I have three sons that are very creative.

#1 is Charly "the city mouse" Fasano does Lino cut block printing and is a writer and story teller. His little pocket sized book Next Anolog Broadcast was just release last week.

#2 Vincent "Cheap" is a painter and does visually stunning contemporary pieces

#3 Jesse has his own web design business at graynoisemedia.com



What kinds of places have you displayed your craft in your life?

I have done fine arts and craft shows/tent and all

Fine arts and crafts showcase and holiday shows at the Center for the Arts Evergreen, CO

The Fine Art of Craft at the Contemporary Museum of Art, Denver

The Mountain Art Gallery in Georgetown, CO

Private showings for my girlfriends who are a constant source of advise and encouragement...and some of my best customers!


Rusty Red Fire Agate and Hammered Copper Necklace

 
What else do you do besides create these beautiful pieces?

I have had a love affair with fabric and my sewing machine since I was in my teens!



What is your favorite piece that you have created so far?

My favorite pieces right now are a few black Geode that have crystals spilling out of the center each in a hammered Sterling Silver frame.



Why did you make that piece?

The Geode is so stunning and has a hint of mystery to it. I wanted each stone to be showcased in a unique way so I used earth friendly Sterling Silver to frame them in a variety of ways.

Hammered Sterling Silver and Black Agate Slice Necklace

What does it take to create pieces like that?

A beautiful stone, earth friendly Sterling Silver and some imagination.



What is special about your pieces?

Each piece I design has a unique and organic look and feel to it. I love to let the metal tell me a story as it takes shape and then find the perfect stone to wrap into it.



What makes this kind of craft \"good\" to you?

Chasing or hammering heavy gauge Sterling Silver or Copper is a great stress reliever for me...and then there are the beautiful calming Gemstones.
 
 
You can see more creations at
 
Black Dog Handcrafted Jewelry on Artfire
 
Black Dog Handcrafted Jewelry's website

No comments: