Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Featured Artisan --- ViadellaRosa

Stop in and read up on today's featured artisan


ViaDellaRosa

When and how did you first become interested in crafting?


I had just had my daughter in 2005 and had been going through a pretty bad period of post-partum depression. I was watching television, EWTN, and was watching the nuns praying the rosary. I'm not sure I remember my entire thought process, but I do remember deciding that I wanted to make a rosary, and share it with someone. I've always had a "crafty" mind, so it just took a bit of research to figure out what to do. I haven't looked back since.



How long have you been creating your chosen craft?

Like I said, I've always had a "crafty" mind, whether it was in sewing, drawing, painting, or just taking things apart to see how they work. However, I've been creating rosaries and jewelry since roughly 2005-2006.


What are your crafting influences?

My fellow handmade artists. No, I don't take ideas from them, but I do allow the wealth of fabulous and fantastic artists out there to expose me to the many beautiful colors, textures and materials that are out there.



Does anyone in your family do a similar craft?

My son Brandon is an aspiring artist who rocks when it comes to digital art. Go check out kornflake94 on deviantart.



What kinds of places have you displayed your craft in your life?

Lol. I remember creating this really lame catalog of my rosaries and jewelry (scanning the pieces on a flatbed scanner and doing some judicious editing) and taking it to my local bookseller. Imagine my amazement when the owner decided to buy some of my pieces outright. Some of the pieces are still prominently displayed in the store.

Chaplet St. Jude Clear Crystal & Natural Aquamarine Patron Saint Medal

What else do you do besides create these beautiful pieces?

Besides chasing my two kids around the house? I read voraciously; I'm currently working on about three books (thank God for the Kindle!). Besides creating, I think that's about all my poor brain can put up with.



What is your favorite piece that you have created so far?

It was my first piece; A pearl and aqua colored necklace. It used to be on my business card, and I sold it to the banker who saw it when I opened my business checking account. One day I'll reproduce it.



Why did you make that piece?

It was the colors and the textures of the beads that made me want to see if I could make something beautiful from them.

Viadellarosas Rose Club Membership


What does it take to create pieces like that?

I think you just have to love the materials. I know other beaders will understand what I'm saying. You take a look at a set of beads, your eyes get big and your hands just itch to put them together. Those are the pieces that usually come out the best for me; ones that hit me from pure inspiration.



What is special about your pieces?

I try not to create pieces just for the sake of creating them. It's trite, but I do put a lot of emotion into each piece. With my Patron Saint Glass Tiles, I let my history geek take over and choose saints that, while they may not be popular or well-known, are historically interesting.

With my rosaries, I make sure that they run through my hands comfortably, and I actually check each one for durability. How? I put it in my purse for a week. If it survives in there, it'll survive anywhere, and it's ready for a good cleaning and packaging and a brand new home.

Necklace Glass Cabochon Chyiogami Antique Brass Rugosa Rose

What makes this kind of craft "good" to you?

A rosary is a personal piece; a patron saint is a personal thing. Each person should have their own unique connection to them. It’s good to give people what they deserve when it comes to their personal faith.


My shop name is viadellaRosa; I can be found at Artfire.


No comments: