Sunday, November 20, 2011

Squirrels in the Pacific Northwest



Living in the Pacific Northwest late fall and early winter show up a bit later than in other parts of the United States. For us the weather has only been brisk for a couple of weeks, this year.


In fact, we were still having gorgeous sunny days in the last week of October. This allowed for more time to have some additional fun in the sun and complete gardening projects.

The spectacular fall weather also provided more time to watch the local wildlife. My neighborhood is an old growth neighborhood, with a lot of wildlife. Some of the wildlife I could do without such as the possums and raccoons. Even though I think the raccoon's are awfully cute, they are extremely destructive.

However, the squirrels while they can be annoying and destructive when they tip over my potted plants, and gnaw on my fence and porch cover, they are extremely entertaining. Now, I don’t know about squirrels in other parts of the country, but the ones in my neighborhood don’t seem to be all that bright.

Entertainment to be had when you see them take a flying leap off the roof and go splat on the ground, like they expected a tree to be there. When there hasn’t been a tree or building or fence there ever. I know it is also probably wrong of me to enjoy seeing the squirrel’s fall of the fence, when they are running across the top of it. They hit the ground and then sit up with this stunned look.

Yet, what I enjoy watching them do the most is their industrious and frantic labor hoarding food for the upcoming winter. The amount of ground they cover and the places they hide their hoard is amazing. From sun up to sun down they scurry about collecting and hiding nuts and seeds.

One of the greatest pleasures of fall is spending an afternoon, watching the squirrels collecting and hoarding their food for the coming winter months. It is one of those odd things that I find inspiring. Couldn’t tell you why, I just do.



So do you have a favorite fall activity that inspires you?











No comments: