Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Featured Artisan -- Aya Designs


Relax a moment and enjoy our interview with


AyaDesigns

When and how did you first become interested in crafting?

I've always loved and supported the handmade world and always had the desire to craft but never had the time. When my girls were young, I'd make them Halloween costumes and pretty jewelry and accessories but nothing beyond that partly because I couldn't afford the supplies back then.



How long have you been creating your chosen craft?

I started as a hobby about 15 years ago and then at the urging of my adult daughters and friends started selling on Art Fire and Etsy in 2009.



What are your crafting influences?

I travel to Southern France often to visit my Mom (who chose to live there about 30 years ago) and love the style in that region. As a military brat, I grew up in Turkey and would be mesmerized by their gold and jewelry bazaars.

2 Strands Red Pearlized Glass Necklace and Earrings Set

Does anyone in your family do a similar craft?

No, although both my daughters are artistic and artsy.



What kinds of places have you displayed your craft in your life?

I've done several home shows - we call it my Mimosa and Baubles Party because I serve mimosas and hors d'oeuvres while the ladies shop and mingle. I've also participated in a few shows in Dallas, Charlotte and Atlanta and look forward to more shows in more cities!



What else do you do besides create these beautiful pieces?

I love to remodel homes! It would be an awesome business! I've learned how to use a few power tools and love seeing the end product. I also love to needlepoint purely for relaxation!

Faceted White Agates and Blue Goldstone Necklace and Earrings Set

What is your favorite piece that you have created so far?

Wow, not sure that I have only one favorite. But lately I've been working on stretch jelly cord bracelets and just love the layered look! Pearls and crystals and colors! Love!



Why did you make that piece?

I had never worked with stretch/jelly cord before and realized I was missing out because they are so popular now.



What does it take to create pieces like that?

A love of color and a knack to combine textures and colors, I suppose.



What is special about your pieces?

I pride myself on every aspect, from buying the best quality stones and beautiful Bali silver to making sure the finish is professional. I don't want anyone to ever look at one of my pieces and wish for something different!


What makes this kind of craft "good" to you?

I suppose it's therapeutic too but really what I love is seeing how happy my customers, friends and family are when they wear a piece. I've done so many brides and bridesmaid’s jewelry over the past few years and I always get a thank you note and pictures of the lovely ladies and that makes me proud!



1 comment:

Aya Turner said...

Thanks so much for the feature! I failed to thank you in time, but it truly was very much appreciated. Here's to wishing you all a healthy and prosperous New Year! Cheers! Aya