Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Morgan Silk -- ArtFire Featured Artisan

Welcome to our interview with Morgan Silk

morgansilk


Does anyone in your family do a similar craft?


What kinds of places have you displayed your craft in your life? I had silk hangings on Worth Ave in Palm Beach a million years ago, participated in two three-women shows in a small gallery, and a one-woman show in a bank. I prefer to sell online, now that I am painting on wearable art instead of producing fine art.

What else do you do besides create these beautiful pieces? I am a retired high school teacher, and spend several days a month in the classroom, but my interests include wandering in the wilds with my dogs and collecting fossils.

Silk Necktie Poison Ivy hand painted Luxury for Men

What is your favorite piece that you have created so far?

Oh, dear, I always like the newest one the best. That being said, I love the super-long stonewashed silk crepe scarves in abstract patterns and rich color. My favorite piece has probably been sold.


Why did you make that piece?

I am possessed with enthusiasm for color and form. It's everywhere, and it compells me and keeps me awake at night.



What does it take to create pieces like that?

Years of experimenting, an understanding of how each dye color behaves, and hours and hours of uninterrupted work time.
hand painted silk crepe scarf Lotus Pod unique


What is special about your pieces?

I never, ever repeat a piece. I can't, because I collaborate with the dyes and the silk. Plus, I get bored repeating designs.


What makes this kind of craft "good" to you?
 
It has made me particularly aware of beauty in almost everything, and search for it with intent. That sure is fun, all the time and anywhere.


Hand dyed chiffon scarf extra long Reds Blacks tie dye

No comments: