Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Computers, Time, & Relationships

Computers are suppose to make our lives easier, right?   So why is it that we work more and play less even though the selling point of computers was to streamline work to take less time?

Ok, anyone who follows my blog knows that occasionally I go on a tangent about my love hate relationship with computers.  They are easy and in some ways make life in general way easier.  Yet, I have come to realize that besides the fact they like to give me the finger and do not always do what I tell them to, we also seem to lose a lot of time working on them.  If doesn't matter if it's for work in the corporate world, our business of running Entwined Vines Jewelry, or managing our personal lives, computers have gone from being a useful tool to a vast time vacuum.  That is not to say I want to get rid of them, as they are vitally important, especially to small business's like ours.

However, after being down for so long with computer issues, here are some observations and adjustments I have made in managing my computer time.

I have had my computer back for a little over a week know and I have been finding that I am spending less time on it.  Some of that time is letting things go, like my email.  Really there are only a couple of things that need to be handled the same day they come in, so why do we feel the need to clear our email completely everyday.  A little bit of a backlog isn't the end of the world is it?

My social media time was an area I concisely restricted for both work and personal.  Ok after a week I know I  restricted it way to much for our business.  It feels like I have missed out on connecting with people and those connections are the lifeblood of any business.  That I am adjusting ASAP and will keep adjusting until I find that perfect balance. On the totally personal aspect I think I have it at just the right mix of keeping up with those that I want without being obnoxious in my posts or feeling like a stalker in following whats going on in others lives.

I have also been assessing what in my personal life really needs to be managed online.  This is an area I am actually finding difficult to decide what truly needs to be tracked and what doesn't.  Hence, it is not an area that I have made a lot of adjustments to as of yet.

The great experiment of limiting time on my computer has actually led to an increase in my accomplishing goals and meeting deadlines.  More importantly I am starting to get that creative bug again, which has been absent for a while now.

While I cannot say with certainty that limiting computer time is a good thing for a small business owner or good for personal lives.  I do know that I find the statistic that 1 in 5 of all types of relationships start online disturbing.  Really?  What happened to actually interacting with people, that human connection?  Have we become so attached to our electronics that we no longer know how to communicate face to face?  Humans are not solitary creatures by nature, we need the interaction with other people to live a well rounded healthy life.  Yes, some people require less interaction than other people, but all of us need a certain level of human interaction.


What are your thoughts on the subject?   Have we lost that basic human connection with each other?



No comments: