Tuesday, May 22, 2012

What draws you to a Blog?

Some days, I really do feel like I am talking to myself.  Between all of the social media, that sometimes is and isn't conversed or responded to.  The corporate job, where they never listen to a sound, logical and reasonable idea.  Family, who doesn't hear what you say, yet insist that you are not living life the way you should be and everything would be better if you were doing it a different way.  To friends who listen, yet still interpret what you say incorrectly to fit their ideas, needs and wants.  There really are days it feels like I am talking to just hear myself talk.  Don't get me wrong, I know mis-communication happens, but it does get old after awhile.

This got me to thinking about what people are really looking for when they are reading blogs.  Our statistics show we have a lot more people reading our blogs than we have followers, which is great.  Yet, I keep wondering what it is that they like.  What is missing in our statistics, is the vital part of the equation that would allow me to tailor this blog a little more to what our readers truly want to see.   While I am so enjoying writing randomly and not having a set schedule this year, I also would like to interact with others on topics that would engage our readers.

Last year was a mixed bag in that I was blogging on a set schedule for each day.  Yet, not one of my many varied topics struck a solid resonate cord that I could identify with as a peak interest for my readers. Topics were varied, they ranged from the controversial to the educational to the latest color trends in fashion, nothing is  off limits.  

For myself, I tend to follow blogs that interest me.  Be they educational, or keeping up with authors I enjoy reading.  However, I am not drawn to any of the gossipy blogs about celebrities.  Obviously, I follow a couple of business blogs and of course gardening and food blogs, those are a must.

So what is it that you look for in a blog, that grabs your attention to follow it on a regular basis?

2 comments:

Connie Mitan said...

I'm actually rather new to following your blog - but the variety you post about is certainly something that keeps me here. I like that your business is jewelry, but your blog isn't limited to that.
I run 4 different blogs, all of which are very different, and I've noticed that interaction is always hard to come by. Even the formula of always asking a question at the end doesn't hold true.
I have a hard time deciding what to write about in my own blogs, too, so I feel your pain. I say write for yourself, to make you feel good, but all the gurus say to write for your readers. Well, if you don't have readers, it's hard to write for them, eh?
~Sunfire

Entwined Vines Jewelry said...

Welcome, Connie, glad to have you as a reader. Thank you for your comments very enlightening for me that variety is one of the things that keep readers coming back. That is good to know.

Yep, interaction is definitely a challenge to acquire. My problem is I have so much I want to write about that trying to decide what should and should not be written about on our business blog is a challenge for me.

We will see how I decide to proceed, because yeah writing for the readers is a challenge when they do not interact. Of course, I also understand this with busy lives. I realized this last week I follow several blogs on a regular basis and rarely post...lol