Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Creative Process

Have you ever wondered what the creative process is?  We can show you tutorials and step by step process and we do, yet it is really dry and boring and I am in the mood for a bit of humor.

A friend sent me this photo of the writer's clock and we got to talking back and forth about how this really applies to all creative endeavors. The old saying of accomplishing something is 99% perspiration and 1 % talent, is accurate in some respects.

While talent is very much a key component to any artistic endeavor, the planning and revising stage is painstaking and requires diligence in pursuit to actually complete any artistic endeavor.

Currently I have a piece that I have been working on for about a year.  Which some will find humorous being that I have yet to actually work with any of the components.  It is one of those pieces that I have the picture in my head and every time I pick up the sketch I tweak it just a bit.  It is going to be a gorgeous piece as long as I can get it to come together just right.

Each time I tweak the sketch I am one step closer to achieving the look that is going to be required in the piece.  It is going to definitively be one of our higher end necklaces by the time it is all said and done, well that is if I can part with it once it is done (giggle).   And that is one of the hardest parts of being an artist.  Artists, including ourselves, put so much of ourselves into our creations, that there are days that placing them in view of the public for criticize is just flat out hard.  Most artists develop a thick skin or they do not survive selling to the public.

Artisan handmade jewelry is not any different than a writer's process.  We agonize over designs and revise and revise, have creative blocks on occasion that we must work through.  In the end though it is all worth it, because it is what we want.  Life takes work and if it worth having it takes sacrifice as well.  Fortunately, we love what we do and being friends just makes it that much more enjoyable and worth the sacrifice.


No comments: