Thursday, April 4, 2013

Grocery Savings; Noteworthy Blogs 4-4-13

A long time ago I determined that if I didn't have to buy groceries, cleaning supplies, and other items we use every day, I would have a lot more money to do fun stuff.  You know like take a vacation, study calligraphy, bellydancing, and any number of other things that I enjoy and would like to do more or learn.

Well since we can't or shouldn't just stop buying those items that are day to day necessities I strive to acquire them as inexpensively as possible.  This is not always easy, especially in a society that gears all shopping savings towards large families.  I say this because most sales are you buy larger quantities you receive a larger discount.  Now this isn't necessarily a bad thing, however for smaller households this is a  challenge.

Larger quantities of non perishables is not an issue as long as you have the storage.  I tend to look at in 3 to 6 months time blocks.  If it will last longer than six months, the cost savings probably isn't worth the hassle of finding and storing the items.  A lot of that really is going to be based on you personal living situation.  

Perishables, buy a freezer.  Meat and vegetables can be purchased and frozen, so you can stock up on two of the meal planning mainstays.  Yes, I prefer my vegetables fresh, however it isn't always practical.  Fresh produce can still be bought in larger quantities  but you need to find a friend or two or three, to go grocery shopping with.  Or if not shop together share with each other what is wanted and split the bulk purchase.  This can be on large bulk purchases or something as simple as splitting a bunch of leeks, so they don't go bad before they can be used.

So "What kind of Grocery Shopper Are You?", is an interesting read, even if you have been focusing on minimizing your grocery budget for awhile.  I disagree with a few of the questions.  Just because someone works doesn't mean they aren't looking to save money.  Though I do agree that if you don't work it is easier to scour the Internet for coupons and deals on a more regular basis.

"31 Days to a Better Grocery Budget" is actually the title of the series of blogs, which I didn't realize at first.  "Buy in Bulk" is the first one I found, while I was searching for bulk buys and tips.
While I have not made it through the entire series, it appears that the author of "Money Saving Mom" has written on 31 different topics on where to make changes to improve your grocery budget.  Can't wait to see what other tips I can glean from this unexpected source.




What tips and tricks do you use to keep your grocery budget manageable?


No comments: